Email & Text Policy
You are welcome to communicate with staff, students, and volunteers at ROCK by email or text as long as you understand the risks, limitations, conditions of use, and instructions for the use of electronic communication services.
ROCK staff cannot provide counselling via email/text but we can schedule and cancel appointments and exchange generic information and resources. Emailing/texting with ROCK staff must respect professional guidelines within which the staff works. If your counsellor/therapist has any concerns, they will speak with you directly.
If you decide to communicate with ROCK staff, students and volunteers electronically, you are accepting all risks associated with the use of electronic communication. Please note that email and text messaging are not secure so if you wish to use these communication methods with ROCK staff, students and volunteers you must accept the following:
- Use of email/text to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties. ROCK staff, students and volunteers will not use email or text to provide counselling or therapy services.
- Employers and online service providers may have a legal right to inspect and keep electronic communications that pass through their system.
- Electronic communications can introduce malware into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer, network or security settings.
- Email/text communications can be forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored or even changed without the knowledge of the sender or the recipient.
- Even after the sender and the recipient have deleted copies of e-mails and texts, back-up copies may exist on a computer system.
- Electronic communications may be disclosed in accordance with a duty to report or a court order.
Email/Texts Conditions of Use
- ROCK staff, students and volunteers cannot guarantee that all emails and text messages will be reviewed and responded to within any specific period of time. E-mail and text messaging should not be used for emergencies or time- sensitive matters.
- Email or text messaging is only appropriate for communication with ROCK staff, students and volunteers regarding appointments and the sharing of general resources and information. ROCK staff, students and volunteers will not provide specific advice, counselling or therapy through e-mail or text.
- Clients, families or caregivers shall not include ROCK staff, students or volunteers on any email lists, group chats or give the email address or phone number to anyone else. If this occurs, the client will be informed and electronic communication may be discontinued.
- ROCK staff, students and volunteers will not accept any email or text message that contains an attachment.
- To help protect your privacy, we recommend you password protect you email account, all devices used to access emails and texts and keep your passwords secret.